Monday, March 2, 2015

Spock

The venerable Leonard Nimoy (Mr. Spock of "Star Trek" fame) passed on last week. He was, of course, one in a long list of famous names who have succumbed to death within the past few years, that is, names familiar to me since childhood. And, as a long-time science fiction and "Star Trek" fan, I was even more affected. Mortality is once again providing reminders or hints of what little time I have left.

In the last few weeks, I have been deliberating my fate, at least the fate that is within my control. I keep asking myself about the purpose of saving money for the future. Who knows the future? If I were to survive into old age, I could easily lose all the money because of medical expenses. Or, an untimely circumstance could bring about my demise a lot sooner. Why not just spend freely now and enjoy the splurge while it lasts? Or, why not live comfortably during the last of my "good years"?

As I have discussed previously in the "blog," my life expectancy is most likely another twenty years given family antecedents. That's not much time. So, why not live somewhat "high on the hog" for the next six to eight years? Why even entertain the idea of homelessness? On the other hand, why waste $1,000+ to rent a room in shared quarters? What is "high on the hog" about renting an overpriced 100 square-foot room and dealing with moronic housemates? That's more like wasting money on nothing, just like a "smartphone" service subscription.

Value is the bottom line. If I am spending over $1,000 per month to live in squalid conditions, then I am not living "high on the hog." Instead, I am a "sucker." Thus, in my most recent quantitative analysis, I have discovered that I cannot afford to pay rent for substandard housing and maintain a motor vehicle concurrently. Well, I can afford both, but it exceeds my arbitrary budget constraints. Thus, I must choose between substandard rental housing or a motor vehicle. That's the bottom line.

In addition, the "quantitative easing" (QE) program of the global central banks have produced extreme asset and commodities price inflation. Not only is rent for housing increasing, but so is food. My estimate is about 20 percent per year on average. Once oil prices resume an upward climb, there will be severe market dislocations. Naturally, only the rank-and-file peons will be affected. Thus, although I may be able to afford to live adequately this year, I could be significantly strapped next year. In other words, a personal crisis is inevitable.

I am expecting several more rounds of QE to keep the various "bubbles" from popping. There will not be any interest rate hike. If any of the "bubbles" show signs of deflating, there will be more QE. Nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately, valuations cannot move upward to infinity. Thus, a major correction must occur in all "bubbles" asset classes and commodities as well. Just ask yourself, "Why is my penny stock now worth $500 per share?" Of course, the longer the correction is postponed, the worsening the resulting crisis will be.

Usual Hawai'i Kai visit. Moms is doing fine. Nothing to report otherwise. I followed the usual agenda and itinerary. No evening outing in Kahala. Instead, I procured dinner at the fast food joint. Yeah, same ol' shit until the final homeless decision is made. That decision is due very soon because of the aforementioned conditions.

Incidentally, the two cheap "smartphones" are still doorstops. There has been no resolution concerning the charge on my credit card. So, I continue to wait. Turns out, I really don't need a "smartphone" after all. I don't need the IPad® tablet computer either. Sheesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment