Sunday, March 29, 2015

Airport Lockout

I ran into my homeless buddy at the fast food joint in town this morning. He disclosed that the homeless can no longer camp at the airport. The lockout apparently went into effect several days ago. Of course, there were myriad problems prior to the lockout. Theft, loitering, and unsanitary practices are some of issues caused by the homeless campers. My homeless buddy attributes the latter issues to the homeless migrants, mostly elderly, from the mainland empire.

So, where is my homeless buddy sleeping at night? Apparently, my homeless buddy and his clan are now officially part of the street homeless population. They seem to have found a good location at the makai end of South Street in town.

My homeless buddy will spend another week on the streets before departing for his six-month vacation in Vietnam. When he returns to Hawai'i, he has vowed to purchase a homeless motorhome (read: minivan). Since he cannot obtain a driver's license, he can only purchase the vehicle by proxy. A friend of his has offered to purchase and insure the vehicle in his own name for my homeless buddy. The vehicle can be dilapidated, my homeless buddy told me, as long as it can be driven to a designated parking lot for a permanent stay.

On a related note, I now believe that I know why there has been an influx of elderly and geriatric homeless people from the mainland empire. They are fleeing from locales that no longer provide healthcare entitlements. They specifically come here for the "free" health insurance, since most of them are sickly, frail, and require myriad prescription drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment